Skip to main content

Full text of "Flora Indica Vol-I"

See other formats


184                                     FLORA   INDICA.
(with one exception) being the capital., Kathmandu, elevated
4000 feet above the sea, and distant about thirty miles from
the plains of India. Here a British Resident has resided since
1817, and several botanists have been enabled to explore its
vegetation. To these the Government of Nipal, though in-
variably refusing permission to penetrate far into the interior,
has always afforded every facDity for prosecuting their re-
searches by permitting the despatch of collectors.
Dr. Buchanan Hamilton visited Nipnl in 1802, remaining
for more than a yea!', during which time he explored the val-
ley of Kathmandu and surrounding mountains. His plants
were described by David Don in the ' Prodromus Fierce Nc-
palcnsis/ a work which should have been alluded to in con-
junction -with Wallich's * Tcntatneu' at page 5L In 1820 Dr,
Wallicli arrived at Kathmandu, During his residence in the
valley he laboured indcfatigably in the investigation of the
rich and scarcely known flora by which he was surrounded;
collectors were despatched in every direction, and a great Her-
barium was formed, which is well known to science. The flora
of the subtropical and lower temperate zone was probably
almost wholly exhausted; but the alpine zone was much les&
completely explored, as the task had to be confided to Bengali
collectors, who dread cold, end by whom many small alpine
plants would naturally be overlooked. The collectors were
sent to the valley of the Ganclak and tibte neighbourhood of
the great mountain Gosainthan*
In 1845, Dr. Hoffmeister, a German traveller and botanist,
visited Katbmandu, but we have not had an opportunity of
learning whether or not he made any collection there. A
small collection, which now forms a part of the Hookerian
Herbarium, was made there by the late Mr. Wixxterbojitom.
Between the Ganclafc and the Kali the country has not been
traversed by any European, nor had any part of eastern Nipal
been visited till 1848, when Dr, Hooker, by perjooissiou of the
Nipalese Government, entered it from Sikkim, visited the
Tambatf river, the most easterly tributary of the Aran, ascend-